The main guideline for economic modernization is the industrial and innovative development of key industries.
In 2015, the implementation of the State Program for Industrial and Innovative Development for 2015–2019 began, which is a logical continuation of the previous program. Its main difference is the focus on the development of manufacturing industry, regional specialization using a cluster approach. On this basis, the specialization of the Karaganda region is determined - ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy, the production of chemicals for industry, the production of machinery and equipment for the mining industry, electrical equipment, building materials, and food products.
Given the identified priorities, the initiation, search and implementation of high-tech projects is ongoing. To improve the investment attractiveness and stimulate the flow of investments into the region’s economy, the FEZ “Saryarka” was created on the territory of the Karaganda region. FEZ infrastructure facilities put into operation successfully provide infrastructure services (electricity, railway services) to the existing participants.
Bemer Armature LLP - was commissioned in June 2014, the production of ball valves and valves, the investment volume of 3.1 billion tenge, 50 jobs were created.
Isoplus Central Asia LLP - was commissioned in June 2014, the production of heat-insulated pipes, the investment amount of 1.9 billion tenge, 84 jobs were created.
Tau-KenTemir LLP - in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated October 2, 2015 No. 95, the territory of the Saryarka SEZ was expanded by adding a subzone to the territory of the Tau-KenTemir LLP Silicon Plant. The production of metallurgical silicon, the amount of investments 4,415.6 million tenge, 370 jobs.
HyunwooCentralAsia LLP - was commissioned in December 2015, the production of heat-insulated pipes and fittings with insulation from polyurethane foam, the amount of investment 1414 million tenge, 15 jobs.
SevenRefractoriesAsia LLP - was commissioned in June 2017, the production of refractory materials, the amount of investments - 1706 million tenge, 34 jobs were created.
Recycling Company LLP - (production of cast iron, steel, aluminum, non-ferrous metal alloys, from scrap waste, decommissioned vehicles), the project cost - 3.4 billion tenge, 100 jobs have been created. Launched on December 6, 2017.
“Perspective” LLP - video camera assembly, project cost 0.5 billion tenge with the creation of 15 jobs. Work is underway to pass product certification.
In the implementation process - 10 projects:
1. Steel Manufacturing LLP (construction of a cartridge plant); investment volume - 27.3 billion tenge; it is planned to create 164 jobs. Construction and installation works are completed, commissioning of the first line is underway, the launch is scheduled for 2019.
2. “Өtemis LTD” LLP (production of polymer concrete structures), the project cost - 1 200 million tenge, 128 jobs are planned to be created. Construction and installation work is underway.
3. Karaganda Complex Alloys Plant LLP (production of ferrosilicon-aluminum), the project cost is 86.0 billion tenge with the creation of 500 jobs, the project is supposed to be realized by borrowing funds of DBK JSC. This issue is currently being worked out.
4. LLP "JV" Berkut "(production of industrial explosives), worth 8,100 million tenge, with the creation of 120 jobs. The project is planned with the participation of Chinese investors represented by Yunnan Industrial Explosive Group Co. Design and estimate documentation is developed, the state examination of the project is carried out.
5. Karaganda Pipe-Rolling Plant LLP (production of longitudinal pipes), the project cost 7.1 billion tenge with the creation of 122 jobs. The development of design and estimate documentation has begun.
6. Arkus Invest LLP (production of pesticides and herbicides), the project cost is 0.9 billion tenge with the creation of 19 jobs. The development of design and estimate documentation has begun.
7. “Terma Form” LLP (production of vibration-filled shaped refractory products), the project cost - 1.5 billion tenge with the creation of 40 jobs. Construction and installation work is underway.
8. Outlook LLP (production of Megacam.Limit hardware and software systems), the project cost is 0.04 billion tenge, with the creation of 10 jobs.
9. Karaganda Gas Equipment Plant LLP - for the production of gas equipment, the project cost is 1.0 billion tenge (1 stage 128.2 million tenge), with the creation of 100 jobs (1 stage 21 people). Received the status of a member of the SEZ. Work is underway on the design of the land.
10. Kazakhstan KOMMASH LLP (production of equipment for the mining industry), the project cost 1.6 billion tenge, with the creation of 39 jobs. Received the status of a member of the SEZ. Work is underway on the design of the land.
Active work is ongoing regarding the implementation of projects within the framework of the Kazakh-Chinese cooperation in the field of industrialization and investment. 7 projects from the region included for a total of 1,158 billion tenge with the creation of more than 4,000 jobs that have a high level of redistribution and an innovative component.
1. Construction of a coal processing complex in the Republic of Kazakhstan;
2. Construction of a plant for the extraction and processing of tungsten ores;
3. Construction of a plant for the production of electrolytic manganese;
4. Construction of a solar power station in the village of Gulshat;
5. Factory for the production of industrial explosives;
6. Construction of a plant for the production of steel billets;
7. Construction of a cable production plant.
As part of attracting multinational companies, the city of Karazhal launched the production of barite ore processing at Karazhal Operating LLC with the full technical support of the international company Haliburton. The total cost of the project is 6 billion tenge. The project provides an annual capacity of 200 thousand per year of the highest quality barite concentrate for the needs of the oil and gas industry in the manufacture of drilling fluids. Due to foreign direct investment in the Osakarovsky district, it is planned to build a plant for the production of high-quality lime (LLP Saryopan Operating LLP). The project provides for the construction of a plant for the production of grade 1 lime in the Saryopan field to meet the needs of enterprises in the metallurgical, chemical and food industries. Investor The project is a transnational corporation CarmeuseGroup (Belgium), which has dozens of plants around the world and is a leader in the production of lime for metallurgical purposes Investment volume - 20 billion tenge Implementation of the project will create 105 new jobs.
Despite a pronounced industrial orientation in economic specialization, the region also has the potential for the development of the tourism industry, as another area for investment.
The reason for this is the geographical location, the wealth of nature, the uniqueness of the cultural and historical heritage. On the territory of the region are located: 2 national natural parks (Karkaraly and Buyratau), 9 nature reserves, Lake Balkhash, the museum of memory of victims of political repressions (Dolinka village), the historical, cultural and natural reserve museum Ulytau, the museum of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan (Temirtau city).
In accordance with the Plan for the development of the tourism sector in the Karaganda region for 2014-2018, work is underway to create and strengthen the tourist image of the region, promote a regional tourism product and establish mutually beneficial partnerships. In 2018, in order to develop tourism infrastructure in the region, 14 projects were implemented for a total of 931 million tenge, 123 jobs were created.
In order to ensure conditions for sustainable socio-economic development of the Karaganda region and improve the quality of life by attracting domestic and foreign investments in the region, a Strategy for attracting investment of the Karaganda region for 2017-2021 was developed and presented. The Strategy identifies industry priorities and a set of measures to achieve the objectives of the investment policy, performance indicators and expected results.